Electives - UP Campus Students
Every student must take and successfully pass 16 weeks of elective clerkships, taken in four-week blocks.
Things to Consider:
- Students have the option of completing electives in Marquette, at any other community campus within the CHM system or at another medical school.
- You are only required to do ONE elective within the MSU-CHM system. Others can be taken within the system or through another medical school with the approval of the appropriate clinical department and the Community Assistant Dean.
- International electives will require extra time to set up and organize. You are responsible for inquiring about and setting up these electives. It is wise to get the ball rolling on these as soon as possible – getting started a year in advance is not too early.
- Do not forget to include Advanced Medicine, Senior Surgery and Psych II when preparing your schedule.
- The months of November, December and January are the prime time for residency interviewing. You are not to take time off from your clerkships to interview. Therefore, make sure that you have scheduled a block of time off for interviewing. The amount of time that you require will vary depending upon the number of programs you apply to (each interview will take a minimum of one day) and the geographical locations (you have to schedule travel time).
- We recommend that you schedule your Step II exams during a month off. Between travel and studying, this is the best way to ensure your success on the exams and in your clerkships.
- You may want to be in Marquette for March so you can be with your classmates when match results are announced.
In January or February of your third year you will be meeting with Patti, Dr. Luoma and Connie to begin planning your fourth year. If you have specific questions before then, please see one of us.